SCLSNJ and LVSC team up for spring programs
English Conversation Groups, Financial Literacy Foundations Workshop, and Tutor Information Sessions planned
(Somerset County, NJ: March 14, 2016) This spring, Somerset County Library System of New Jersey and Literacy Volunteers of Somerset County will team up again to offer a variety of programs.
"I have a long history with SCLSNJ filled with many fond memories of hours spent in the library with my children when they were young," said Aimee Lam, recently appointed as LVSC's Executive Director, who previously worked with LVSC as a tutor and a board member. "I look forward to working with SCLSNJ in my new role and am grateful for this important partnership which is critical in promoting adult literacy throughout our county."
This spring, LVSC will offer one new program, as well as two back-by-popular demand programs, at SCLSNJ library branches.
NEW PROGRAM: Financial Literacy Foundations Workshop
May 11, 6:30-8:30 p.m. at SCLSNJ's Hillsborough Library branch, located at 379 S. Branch Road in Hillsborough
This free workshop is for people interested in learning the basics of money management and will include topics on credit cards, creating a budget, checking & savings accounts, how to establish credit, etc. The workshop will be led and facilitated by Maqsood Mamawala, MBA, CLU, ChFC, from LVSC and will include presentations from Anngy Agudelo from Magyar Bank and Sharon Clark and Laura Wetzel from Central Jersey Housing Resource Center. Sign up to learn more about the basics of better money management. You will also learn about the many free financial management resources available to you. Funding for Financial Literacy Foundations was generously provided by the Fred C. Rummel Foundation, the Gannett Foundation, MagyarBank Charitable Foundation, and the United Way of Northern New Jersey Women’s Leadership Council. For more information or to register: http://somerset.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=39788&lib=1001
Tutor Information Sessions
Prospective volunteer tutors will get information about LVSC, adult illiteracy, tutor training, and what a tutor does.
• Wednesday, April 6, 7-8 p.m. at SCLSNJ’s Hillsborough Library branch, located at 379 S. Branch Road in Hillsborough;
• Thursday, April 7, 1-2 p.m. at SCLSNJ’s Bound Brook Memorial Library branch, located at 402 East High Street in Bound Brook;
• Monday, April 11, 7-8 p.m. at SCLSNJ’s Bridgewater Library branch, located at 1 Vogt Drive in Bridgewater; and
• Thursday, April 14, 1-2 p.m. at SCLSNJ’s Warren Township Library branch, located at 42 Mountain Blvd. in Warren Township.
English Conversation Groups*
Practice speaking English in a friendly setting. Basic English skills required.
• Mondays, 6:30 - 8 p.m., April 18 - June 6 at SCLSNJ’s Somerville Library branch, located at 35 West End Avenue in Somerville;
• Mondays, 7-8:30 p.m., April 4 - May 23 at SCLSNJ’s Hillsborough Library branch, located at 379 S. Branch Road in Hillsborough;
• Tuesdays, 12:30 - 2 p.m., April 5 - June 7 at SCLSNJ’s Bound Brook Memorial Library branch, located at 402 East High Street in Bound Brook;
• Wednesdays, 10-11:30 a.m., April 6-June 29 at SCLSNJ’s Bridgewater Library branch, located at 1 Vogt Drive in Bridgewater;
• Wednesdays, 10-11:30 a.m., April 6 - June 15 at SCLSNJ’s Hillsborough Library branch, located at 379 S. Branch Road in Hillsborough;
• Wednesdays, 10-11:30 a.m., May 4 - June 22 at SCLSNJ’s Somerville Library branch, located at 35 West End Avenue in Somerville; and
• Thursdays, 1-2:30 p.m., May 19 - July 23 at SCLSNJ’s Manville Library branch, located at 100 S. 10th Avenue in Manville.
*Note, these programs are for people who have a basic understanding of the English language. True beginners are encouraged to visit LiteracySomerset.org to fill out a Student Application (found under Become a Student) or call 908-725-5430.
For more information about these programs, contact LVSC at LiteracySomerset.org or 908-725-5430 or contact your local SCLSNJ library branch.
About Literacy Volunteers of Somerset County, a 501(c)(3) organization
Through a network of trained volunteers, LVSC has been providing one-to-one and small group tutoring to functionally illiterate adults since 1981. The adults in need of LVSC’s services are unable to read, write, or speak at a level of proficiency necessary to function on the job, at home, and in the community. With the support of an LVSC tutor, students work on everyday practical literacy skills, striving to accomplish personal goals such as applying for a job, getting a driver’s license, becoming a US Citizen, or helping a child with their homework. In addition to the core tutoring program, LVSC offers English as a Second Language classes, English Conversation Groups, and U.S. Citizenship Preparation classes. LVSC programs enable students to obtain new or better paying jobs, function more effectively at work, continue their education, become more engaged citizens and parents, and ultimately lead more productive and fulfilling lives. To learn more, to volunteer, or to request services please visit LiteracySomerset.org or call 908-725-5430.
About Somerset County Library System of New Jersey
Somerset County Library System of New Jersey (SCLSNJ) partners with you to connect, to explore, to share and to discover. Together we enrich lives, expand knowledge and strengthen communities. SCLSNJ branches can be found in Bridgewater, Bound Brook, Hillsborough, Manville, North Plainfield, Peapack & Gladstone, Rocky Hill at Mary Jacobs Memorial Library, Somerville, Warren Township and Watchung. Additionally, there are two SCLSNJ reading stations in Branchburg and Washington Valley. Visit SCLSNJ.org for further information about library services offered at SCLSNJ.