CENSUS DAY OF ACTION
THURSDAY, MAY 14, 2020
This Thursday, May 14th is a statewide Census Day of Action and we are again asking everyone to Call Those Who Count On You to see how they’re doing and to ask them to fill out their all-important Census.
We are asking as many folks as possible to participate in our Friends and Family Outreach call program. It’s simple to do and you can do it from the comfort of your own home.
Here’s how the call program works – You call at least five (5) friends, neighbors or family members to check and see how they are doing. Then also ask if they’ve had a chance to fill out their Census. Then ask those who said yes to call 5 of their friends and family members - And so on, and so on.
As a friend, neighbor, or relative you’re a trusted voice. And there is no one more effective than you to ask those you know to fill out their Census.
Key message for the Day of Action: The amount of New Jersey’s federal funding related to our COVID recovery depends on the completeness of our Census count. It’s that important. It’s not too late to respond to the 2020 Census while being safe and practicing social distancing at home.
- To fill it out online just go to 2020CENSUS.GOV
- To fill it out by phone call:
- English: 844-330-2020
- Spanish: 844-468-2020
- By Mail: Fill out your form & mail it back (the postage is free)
Reasons to Fill Out the Census & Why Others in the Community Are Doing It
1. It’s safe and confidential. A federal law called Title 13 protects your personal data. Census Bureau employees take a lifetime oath, under severe penalty (5 years in jail & a $250,000 fine), never to disclose personal data. Only general statistics are used. Personal data cannot be disclosed ever to any government agency at any level. Not the police, not ICE – NOT ANYONE!
2. It’s easy: There are 9 questions. It generally takes about 10 minutes to fill out online. Or you can fill it out over the phone or by mail.
3. It’s Important: It’s very important to our community and our families in our community. Filling it out helps you and everyone else in our community.
- Accurate Census data determines how many representatives we have – our voice and power in government.
- Census data helps determine where more than $45 billion in federal funding is distributed each year for New Jersey. The more accurate the information the more dollars we all get. It includes funding for schools, hospitals, first responders, Medicare, Medicaid, school food programs, senior programs, childcare, roads & highways and much more. It also provides us important data that will help us plan, in an informed way, for any future health emergencies like COVID.
- Filling it out helps you and everyone else in our community.